Monday, January 10, 2011

What Would You Work at If You Didn't Have to Work?

Last month I had an interesting discussion with my kids about work.  We noticed a beautifully decorated house and I made the comment that it would be able to afford the decorations and someone to put them up.  My adult daughter said if she had that kind of money, she wouldn't have to work and would have the time to put them up herself.  Last week I talked about what a wanna be I am, and it's interesting to think about how we would spend our time and energy if we didn't have to meet our responsibilities.  Would I clean my own house?  (Absolutely not!)  Would I do my own grocery shopping? (Probably.)  Would I do my own cooking?  (Sometimes.)  


If you asked the same question to my kiddos, I think some of them would spend 80% of their time reading, others would spend it playing.  Some are to the point of wanting to learn new skills and gaining knowledge, even if it means do what others might consider working.  I feel like it's part of my job as a mother, to help all my children want to get to that point, where they love learning and developing their interests (in many different ways) and want to continually improve themselves.  Now I just need to figure out how to do that!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm totally with you on the cleaning thing.

Funny, I was just thinking about this today as I watched a program I'd recorded about solving the world's health problems. I think if my husband didn't have to work, I'd love to pack up my family and go provide humanitarian relief to places around the world. Nate's dad's family just returned from a trip to Mexico to help build a house for someone, and I've always thought what an amazing teaching experience it would be for me and my kids to see firsthand what it's like to really NEED food, clean water, and shelter and to be able to help out in some way. It seems crazy, especially since just taking my kids on a trip to Walmart completely overwhelms me right now! ;)

Raejean said...

Hopefully our abilities will catch up with our good intentions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails