Sunday, January 9, 2011

Family Home Evening: Scripture Study

Our ward's Primary started a scripture study program for the children. Each week there is a theme, an assignment and a challenge.  I'm excited for the encouragement my children receive to go beyond their family scripture study and begin studying on a personal level.  

Last week's theme was "the scriptures are the word of God".  They were asked to read the introduction or title pages of the Bible, the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants.  Their challenge was to share their favorite scripture or story from the scriptures.  One of our children led us through the reading and the challenge as our Family Home Evening lesson.  

It was interesting to see the variety of the scriptures and stories came to our minds.  It was one of those fulfilling moments as a mom, to see that my children are listening to what I'm teaching (along with church teachers and other relatives) and that they remember and internalize some of the lessons.

Monday, we started our family study of the Old Testament.  Just one week of study has opened a several discussions about the creation and the Savior's role in the Old Testament.  The Old Testament version of Scripture Study for the Latter-Day Saint Family has been an excellent resource for us.  I've also been reminded that I'm pretty good about remembering facts shared relating to specific scriptures, but I'm horrible at remembering where I heard or read the information.  It's very hard to find the specific wording when I don't remember the source.


Our activity was "2010 A to Z".  We all listed memorable events from last year, one for each letter.  Somehow, I was the only one who listed Disneyland for "d".  I guess there really is no need to go back, since it wasn't even memorable enough to make the list!


For our treat, we whipped up a second batch of Hot Chocolate Cookies, (my new favorite cookie).  I put some in the freezer for my Cub Scout leaders that make it to our Cub Committee meeting this week, because they are good enough to be an adequate reward for my dedicated leaders and one more meeting.

If you are interested in a copy of the program our Primary put together, email me at RaejeanEasyAsPie at gmail dot com.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind me sharing a copy.

2 comments:

Raimi said...

We just started reading the Book of Mormon again at the start of the New Year. I found a bookmark on Sugardoodle. For each book that you read in the book of Mormon, there is a reward/treat when you complete it. For intance, we when finish the first book of Nephi, we will do a little archery/target contesst as a family. The reward/treat cleverly ties in with the chapter you have just finished. My boys are so excited and don't ever let us forget that we need to read the scriptures. It has been a great way to start our New Year.

Raejean said...

That will be a great addition when we get back to the Book of Mormon. I'm a firm believer that with a little effort and planning learning can be a lot of fun. It also seems that many kids don't need much motivation to build great habits like reading scriptures and saying prayers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails