Sunday, January 30, 2011

Family Home Evening: Developing Talents

We started off our lesson with a interest survey.  I used the one I received from Venturing training for inspiration, adapting it to fit the needs of my lesson.  I'd be happy to email you a copy, leave me a comment with your email address or email me at RaejeanEasyAsPie at gmail dot com.  I gave everyone a few minutes to check off everything they were interested; some of the kids decided to go further and label how interested they were in the various subjects on a scale of 1 to 10.  


Next we discussed the Parable of the Talents.  The Lord expects us to not only develop the talents we have but to add to them.  Sometimes we have a hard time knowing what our talents are, other times we know what they are but we don't develop them.  I asked my family to look over in the interest survey and consider how many of the things they are interested in could be come talents.  We need to try new things and continue to practice what we already enjoy to find and develop our talents.  I don't know about you, but I wasted a lot of time during my teenage years that could have been used to develop talents before my time was full of raising children and maintaining a household.  I regret not using that time better and hope to encourage my children to not have the same regrets.  I asked them to choose one thing from their list and do something to see if that is a potential talent.


Our activity was similar to one we've done often, where we all draw a picture for a minute then pass our drawing to the person for them to draw on for a minute, until the picture makes it around the circle and everyone has drawn on each picture.  This time we drew a slip of paper with a topic to draw about.  The topics were things like "something that represents Valentine's Day" or "things you love".  I thought it was even more fun that way!


One of my kiddos made homemade Cream Puffs for our treat.

1 comment:

EmilyDiane said...

Thanks...I am going to try this tonight....Emily

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails