Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Win!

Just for the record, I'm not a green thumb - especially not like my neighbor! Her back yard is green and lush. She has fruit trees producing fruit after only 2 years, tomatoes, peppers and all kinds of other things. She let the kids plant pumpkins in her garden and they are going crazy. I tried planting pumpkins last year and they shot up and did great for a few weeks, then died within a few days.

I don't think of myself as a brown thumb either. I've had a few scattered successes. I had a few basil plants thrive at our first house. I recently kept a bamboo plant alive for over two years. So, I think there's hope for me. I'll call myself an aspiring gardener.

For Mother's Day, one of my children gave mini-rose plants to three of us. Mine is still living. Maybe I just need to do competition gardening, one plant at a time to be a successful gardener? I also received a Bougainvillea that day. It was a skinny little plant with some leaves and a few flowers. The flowers fell off almost immediately after I planted it, and the leaves followed shortly after. The stem was still green, so I kept watering it and now there are more leaves than I started with and they are even bigger that the original ones!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Good for you, Raejean! I struggle too. I kept a Mother's Day plant alive for a couple of years once. It was ugly as sin, but it was still kind of green! ;)

Monica Grondin said...

Wow congrats Mom! haha brenda had dead stems on hers for quite awhile but finally gave up and threw it out. lol.

Raejean said...

Grandma's is dead too. I win...I win...I win!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails