Monday, March 7, 2011

The Deception of Perception

I went back to the scene of my accident for the first time a couple of weeks ago and relearned a lesson on perception.  My memories of what went on during the accident are very clear, I remember being distracted by a freeway sign and wondered if I was going the right way.  When my tire went off the road I remember how steep it was off the side of the road.  


When I drove there again, there were a few elements that measured up to my memory, like the freeway sign and the long exit ramp.  But other details were disturbingly different, mostly the lack of steepness off the road.  While it is unsettling, I am reminded of things aren't always as they appear. 


I remember how overwhelming life was after my first baby, but looking back at what I was actually accomplishing back then seems so small compared to all that is required of me now.  My capacity for empathy has increased once again, by seeing my skewed perception and how quickly it can change.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails