Friday, May 7, 2010

Lessons from Motherhood

With Mother's Day just around the corner, I've been reflecting on the lessons I've learned since becoming a mother.
  1. While I don't miss changing diapers, there is a lot I miss about having little children.  I don't tell other moms they are going to miss changing diapers, but I understand what those moms meant when they told me that.
  2. Time really does go so fast.  
  3. It's important to think about how I really want to spend my time.  Playing with my children is not only acceptable, but often preferable!
  4. Children learn by example. Working with my children is the best way to teach my children to work.
  5. Being patient with my children is the best way to teach them patience. See #4.
  6. Kids are usually happier doing whatever they are doing, with mom - especially when they are younger.
  7. Letting my children choose how we spend some of our time together, shows them they opinions matter.
  8. Reading to young children creates lifelong reader.  Sometimes I'd like them to do other things too!
  9. Children need boundaries and consequences.  
  10. Parents can be strict and loving at the same time.
  11. Life isn't all about fun, but with a good attitude fun can be found in many situations.
  12. Mothers make mistakes; children love them anyway.
  13. Traditions build strong family bonds.
  14. It's important to take care of me too, or else I can't take care of anyone else.
  15. Helping in children's classrooms shows them how important their education is to me, and I get to see how they interact with other kids.  It's great to watch them when they don't realize I'm there!
  16. Chocolate can fix most anything.
  17. Have compassion on other moms, we may not truly understand the struggles they face.

1 comment:

Our Little Family said...

I love it!!! I think those are all the same things I have learned, I only wish I had learned them a little earlier on!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails