Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Food Log

Last November I decided to take a little break from keeping a food log.  Back then I figured I start up again after the new year, which I did - way after the new year!  Isn't that how it goes?  Our little breaks turn into months or years. My "little break" really shows, especially on the scale.  For the first few weeks, I lost a couple of pounds, overall I've gained 11 pounds since I stopped tracking my food.  Obviously I was doing a lot more eating than exercising too; it's so much easier to do when I know I don't have to enter in the food log.  There's no accountability. 


So this week I got back on the band wagon.  I'm not sure if I really want to give up all those sweets (even though I know I should), but I'm choosing to take a little step in the right direction.  It sounds silly that recording what I eat and how much I exercise makes a difference in my weight management program, but I need that level of awareness and accountability.  It doesn't always keep me from eating more than I should, but I'm grateful for the times I don't eat something because I don't want to log it, and the times I have a better balance because I'm aware of the areas I'm lacking.  Yesterday I had beans for lunch because I hadn't eaten much fiber over that last two days.  


I've used a couple of different website for tracking my food and exercise.  This time, I'm going back to My Pyramid Tracker.  It's not as "fun" as something like Spark People, but it doesn't encourage reducing calorie intake below a safe level.  I also like the energy balance scale it has.  My goal is to have my calorie intake and calorie output within 500 calories to help keep my metabolism higher. 


Here's to a little step in the right direction!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails