Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Never Give Up

I'm not sure why, lately the smallest amount of bickering or sassy voices sets me on edge.  I've been on edge a lot lately!  Everything came to a head on Sunday.  After chewing everyone out, I was ready to go lock myself in my room and spend the day observing the Sabbath as I saw fit.  I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with teaching my children the importance of keeping the Sabbath holy - among other things.  I wondered if I was asking too much; lots of other parents don't seem to be teaching their kids, so why should I?  I was pulling out all the decorations for my own little pity party.  Fortunately, there was too much going on to fully wallow in it.


The next morning's scripture study was very clear on my responsibility.  Moroni 9:6 states "And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God."

The prophet Mormon spent his time teaching a people bent on destruction, but he kept trying because he loved his people and so he would not be under condemnation.   Even though I'm not a prophet, I think the charge also applies to me as a mother.  Even when I don't feel like my children are listening, I need to keep teaching and loving.  Even when I see them choosing paths that break my heart, I need to keep teaching and loving.  


I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father keeps teaching and loving me!  I'm grateful the words I needed to hear came to me when I most needed them, that He encourages me and shows me the right path.  I'm sure He is often disappointed when I don't listen to Him or when I choose a path that breaks His heart.  He knows how I feel and He knows the path I need to follow.  I need to listen and keep on keeping on!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails