Friday, March 5, 2010

Take Flight: Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart, and Trivia

This week as part of Cub Scouts we discussed the Wright Brothers.  I didn't know the first flight lasted only 12 seconds!  That first airplane flew for less than 2 minutes in its four flights before the wind blew it over while it was parked and damaged it. It never flew again.

We also discussed Amelia Earhart.  She was the pilot the boys were most familiar with, which was convenient since I had a book I wanted to share with them.  It was written Neta Snook Southern called "I Taught Amelia to Fly".  Several years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Neta whom I'm related to by marriage.  It's an amazing read if you can find it.

We finished off our Den Meeting with a little more flight trivia.  Again, I didn't know the Sputnik (the first man-made satellite sent up by Russia) was only the size of a basketball.  I love learning and doing new things with the boys!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails