Thursday, September 24, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup

I love all that I'm learning in my nutrition class! It's a rare occasion that I drink soda, even then it's the low octane stuff like Sprite. I'll be reading the label before I even do that now. The body digests High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) differently than conventional sugars, even corn syrup. This alternate way of digesting HFCS has two undesirable side effects.

1. It doesn't trigger the body to send insulin into the bloodstream, which balances glucose levels in the bloodstream.

2. It triggers the production of triglycerides, a form of fat, which at that point triggers the body to kick out too much insulin.

These "side effects" are suspected to be leading causes of the drastic increases in diabetes and obesity. The soda industry has voluntarily agreed to stop selling sodas in school. They must think these studies are going to continue to be confirmed. It's not just sodas to watch out for, cookies, crackers and other pre-packaged baked foods are using HFCS too.

This is another reminder to read those food labels and understand what we are putting into our bodies! Here's to your good health.

2 comments:

JRW Sister said...

I hope I will give up my Soda soon You inspire me to do better! Jill

Raejean said...

Small steps. Maybe cut back on one soda a day. You're awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails